If you are into eCommerce, you undoubtedly already heard about WooCommerce and Shopify. Both are great tools to build and maintain an eCommerce store.
Today, there is a multitude of e-commerce platforms that claim to be of better quality. In any case, it is difficult to determine which of these platforms is the best. Despite the marketing behind both of them, both have excellent features. Improvements in both tools and access to technical support make it easy for end-users to decide. Let us see the advantages and disadvantages of both software.
Overview of WooCommerce and Shopify
Among the most popular platforms, Shopify and WooCommerce are considered to be the best. Both have a maximum number of features that meet the needs of the majority of users. According to build with on over 1 million popular e-commerce sites, 21% used the WooCommerce platform while 18% used Shopify (survey made in December 2018). However, in recent years, it has been observed that Shopify's growth curve is more pronounced than that of WooCommerce. Relying on online surveys is not enough to reflect the reality on the ground.
In this article, we will establish the advantages and disadvantages of these two e-commerce platforms. That will help you to get a clear idea of the choice to make to better embark on this exciting digital adventure. We made these comparisons based on statistics, our expertise in using those tools and users' opinions.
The fundamental difference between Shopify and Woocommerce
Shopify is an all-in-one solution. It proposes to design, build and publish your website online without you worrying about the technical aspects. On the other side Woocommerce, with its plugins linked to Wordpress, is only available for existing WordPress website owners that want to sell online. While Shopify offers an entirely free trial version, WooCommerce provides a 30-day money-back guarantee. (If you decide to choose the subscription plan instead of the open-source).
- Shopify automatically ensures the technical maintenance of the management of your e-business site. Using this platform means having a hosting plan while having security certification agreements. Moreover, with Shopify, the growth of your online store can be achieved without the risk of technical failures caused by the gradual increase in traffic and sales volumes. This platform does not necessarily require technical skills to ensure a good design of its websites.
- One of the best advantages of Shopify is the high reactivity of its customers’ phone support. For instance, they are available 24/7 to effectively solve all forms of problems related to your website. If you don't understand how features work, you can quickly get someone to help.
- Shopify provides its users with absolute ease of inter-connectivity with the most significant commercial spaces of the web such as Amazon and Facebook. The advantage is that your products can be advertised and marketed on those sites apart from your one website.
The disadvantages of Shopify
Despite the great features listed above, Shopify has limitations that are mainly related to its restructuring. If you want to make significant changes to your online store, it is imperative to have advanced technical skills in coding. In this way, you will be able to learn the lines of code of Shopify’s enterprise to make significant changes. Adding to that, the cost of using Shopify becomes significantly high as your business grows.
The advantages of WooCommerce
- The specificity of WooCommerce is that it is an open-source platform whose code language is accessible to all. You might as well choose to subscribe to a monthly version. As a result of its open-sources, it has an unlimited possibility of customization, allowing a wide margin of flexibility. You can practically use it to create your website according to your personality and aspirations. Customizing and using Theme on WooCommerce is easy and straightforward.
- Because WooCommerce makes use of the power of Wordpress, it has an exhaustive variety of themes for better web design.
- Additionally, because of its integration with Wordpress structural systems and its specificity to promote in-depth customization of your website, WooCommerce automatically improves your natural ranking on Google.
Disadvantages of WooCommerce
- Unlike Shopify, WooCommerce does not have a responsive and accessible phone customer support service at all times. If you are in trouble with WooCommerce, you can either make use of the community or chat with other users on forums.
- WooCommerce requires some technical knowledge to ensure the operationalization of the online store.
Launching your online store on an e-commerce platform requires a good knowledge of the different features that characterize platforms such as Shopify and WooCommerce. However, the choice of platform depends mostly on your budget plan, your technical expertise in IT or web development and your web project. You can only make a proper choice by estimating the investment you are ready to do for your online shop.
To sum up, if you are looking for an easy to manage and 100% technical support available 24/7 go for Shopify. Shopify will support you at all the stages of your eCommerce. But, if you want to have more control and flexibility to customize your store, WooCommerce might be the best. However, you need to understand that you will manage all the aspects of your store yourself.
If you need help to choose the best tool for your eCommerce business, contact us today
. We also offer Shopify and Woocommerce development services.