Guide to succeed your Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration [revised article]
Are you moving from Magento 1 to Magento 2? This article will give you an essential guide to do that. As you probably already know, Magento 1 end of life is for June 2020. In order words, Magento Community or Enterprise will no longer provide support for version 1. The news is a little bit scary for most store owners because Magento 1 and 2 are on two completely different frameworks. If you are using Magento 1; don't worry. There is an easy way for you to do your migration successfully. Luckily, Magento has put in place a tool that will help you to migrate some of your content and features provided that they are not custom. Read this article for the steps to follow.
What are the risks associated with a non-supported version?
There are many risks associated with outdated and non-supported software. Magento 2 Migration will help you solved upcoming issues. Many websites that are not supported experience various buggies and security issues. These are some of the problems you may encounter.
- First of all, you face a lot of security vulnerabilities. In other words, An attacker can easily hack your website with little effort. Moreover, you might longer be able to use some third-party software. As an example, most of the payment gateways require some latest system specifications that you can find on outdated versions.
- Secondly, Some of your website features will stop working. As you probably already know, for your website to function correctly, it requires some third-party resources. And as such, most of those third-party providers will stop maintaining their extensions or services. Your website/part of your site will end up cratching.
- Thirdly, Google or some search engines could penalize you for using a non-secure website. If search engines detect that your website is a gate for attackers, they will downgrade your traffic. As a result, you will lose some of your visitors.
- Finally, you can find yourself losing all your investment and valuable data if you have hackers attacks.
The main benefit of Magento 2
Many companies or developers that work with Magento 1 felt like it requires too many technical skills. And as a result, when they compare eCommerce platforms, they also rely on those factors. So, before you decide to move to other eCommerce tools, take some time to read about those advantages. Magento 2 is far better than Magento 1. Below are some of the benefits:
The performance of Magento 2 is improved, and it runs 20% faster than Magento 1.
I had a chance to work on many Magento 1 websites and must of the time, the load time and performance were quite high. I was amazed to see how fast Magento 2 was. For an eCommerce store, performance plays a crucial role in SEO.
More comfortable to integrate and to develop.
Unlike Magento 1 that required to use more of the manual or backend manipulations, Magento 2 provides a more natural way for developers. You can easily use a command-line interface or setup features to install features while validating if they comply with the Magento standard.
The checkout process of Magento 2 is quite simple to compare to Magento 1. In fact, for Magento 1, unless you get an extension, users will have to do six steps to complete a transaction. While in Magento 2, there are only two steps. In order, words, with Magento 2, you are increasing your chances of making more sales.
Improve admin Interface.
The admin interface of Magento 2 is more user-friendly and good looking. Hence, any non-technical user can easily understand and use it.
Magento 2 by default, incorporate Boostrap features that improve the responsiveness of your store. As you probably already know, more than 70% of internet users are browsing on mobile and tablet devices. Hence, incorporate Mobile-friendly features on an eCommerce tool is a way to only your effort in making your website responsive.
Page Builder features.
The latest version of Magento 2; such as Magento 2.3 started to incorporate page builder to give you the ability to create pages quickly.
Other Magento 2 features
There are many other features of Magento 2 that you can use to improve your sales; those are:
- You can easily connect to Marketplace like Amazon, Google Shopping
- There more features that can help you to automate some of your processes. As examples; Email Marketing software or Abandon cart automation.
What are the main changes from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Some tables in the Magento 2 database are similar to that of Magento 1. However, there are many changes that you need to handle. Migrating will then mean moving your data from the other database to the new one, moving your theme (if you want), extension and other custom features. These are what you need to do to migrate properly:
Do an inventory of all the features that you need to migrate
For any website using CMS, there are basics features and custom features. Basics features are those that come with the software without any extra extension. While custom features are those that you add by yourself or your developers to improve your store. Magento provides an easy way to move basics features using the Data Migration tool. As for your custom features, you can either see with your third-party providers or your developers. If your custom features providers do not have equivalent in Magento 2, you can either build new ones or check for similar features on Magento Marketplace. Once you did that, you can now move to the proper migration Process.
Migration Process from Magento 1 to Magento 2
- Build a new store using Magento 2. Anew store will involve doing the installation of Magento on your server (if you are looking for the open-source version.) or creating an account with on the Magento platform for Magento commerce.
- Install the Data Migration tool and start migration your basic features. As mentioned above, the Data Migration tool can only help you migrate core Magento features.
- Migrate your theme from Magento 1 to Magento 2 and adjust changes at the User Interface Level.
- Update your data accordingly. Learn more about Magento 2 here.
- Update your Custom features. After completing the migration, you will have to upgrade your custom features with the equivalent in Magento 2. You can as well add extra Magento 2 features to take full advantage of the new version.
Do you feel more comfortable with Magento 2 migration? :) Contact us today to plan your Migration. You can also call at +1 (514) 548-3513.
Click Here To See More