Do you want to improve the security of your Magento open source website? This article is for you. In fact, like on any eCommerce solutions or online activities, safety is crucial. You need to make sure that your platform protected against spams or malicious attacks. In this article, I will show you how to improve the security of your Magento website. To apply the advice, you don't necessarily need to be a developer.
1 - Use Magento Security center to see what you need to improve
Whether you are using Magento Open-source or Commerce, Magento security center is a great asset you can use. For instance, by using Magento Scan, you will able to detect which aspect of your website you need to protect. With all the information provided, you can make sure to apply changes to secure your site better.
I will better explain how to use the Magento Security center to scan a website. But the whole idea is to register your website to the security center, run a scan and download a PDF report. The PDF report will contain information about features that pass the scan test, what needs to improve and critical issues.
Examples of data provided by Magento Security scan
The screenshot below is an example of how the PDF report looks. On the picture below, you will notice, the red (Fail), yellow (Unknown or need improvement) and green (Pass).
If you scan your Magento Website, you need to pay special attention to the red and yellow. Once you fix those highlighted remarks, part of the security of your website is covered.
How to use Magento Security Center?
The use of the Magento security Scan is free. If you want to use it for your website, these are the steps you need to follow:
- First of all, you need to create your account for the Magento platform.
- Secondly, Once you are logged in, you can click on "security scan" at the bottom of the left side menu under the tab Magento.
- Then, click on the button "GO TO SECURITY SCAN.," and you will land on this page https://account.magento.com/scanner/.
- From there, you can add your site, and "run scan" from the drop-down menu to your left.
When the software completes the scan, you will receive a notification to your email. Alternatively, you can click on the button view report to download the PDF.
2 - Subscribe to Magento Newsletter
Magento usually sends a weekly update about what needs to be improved. As such, if you are a subscriber, you will quickly be notified of changes. For example, last week, I received a notification from Magento title "Information from Magento
About Recent PHP Vulnerabilities." The newsletter was to inform Magento users about a vulnerability in PHP. You would have known about the issue later, but with the newsletter, It is easy to know earlier. To subscribe to the newsletter, you can use the subscription form at the footer of Magento website https://magento.com/
3 - Upgrade your Magento Website regularly.
Magento updates their systems regularly with new security features and patches to fix known issues. As such, if you don't take the time to apply updates, you are exposing your website to vulnerabilities. In most cases, if you developed your site by following the standards recommended by Magento, upgrading will be quite straightforward. You can either use the system Upgrade or Command line. To find out more, read these articles:
- Upgrade using "System Upgrade" - https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/comp-mgr/upgrader/upgrade-start.html
- Upgrade using Command line - https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/comp-mgr/cli/cli-upgrade.html
Conclusion about the security of your Magento
There are many things that you can do to improve the security of your Magento store. However, I will recommend you start with the security scan to have an idea of what you need to improve. The advantage of using the security scan recommendation is that you have a list of all the aspects you need to cover. In 90% of the time, improving security will be taking care of spam, sever and coding. For instance,
- Spammers will make use of your forms of email servers to send spam emails to your emails automatically. In that case, installing A captcha can help in fixing the issue.
- As for the server, if you don't do a proper configuration, you might be a victim of a brute force attack or other security vulnerabilities.
- You need to update your Magento Installation regularly to handle the code issue. Moreover, you can keep an eye on the extensions that you use to make sure that they are still up-to-date.
If you need a team to help you analyze the security of your website to enhance your online reputation better; contact us